Saturday, February 02, 2008

YES!

Lately I've been loving that Dunkin' Donuts ad...

You know, ""Doing things is what I like to do. YES!" It all makes sense now, because the song is by They Might Be Giants. (Slate ad review here.)

I was inspired to go to Dunkin' Donuts, but... um... there aren't any in California. (As far as I can figure.) So why are they advertising here?

Last weekend, to satiate my TMBG-induced doughnut cravings we visited Stan's Donuts in Santa Clara. They were supposed to be the best raised glazed donuts in town and I agree. The place is seriously funky though. I don't think they've remodeled since 1962. They have a cup taped to the wall to hold pens, which I thought was especially classy.

6 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I know there are a couple in California. I did a quick search an found a few in the bay area and Los Angeles. I think there is also one by grandma's house on Newport blvd.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Actually, according to the DD website there are none. That is what several other people have said on their websites. I know that sometimes the places that used to be DD but are now another donut place still get listed as being a DD. I see none on yelp, DD website, or another yellow pages site. Where are you seeing this?

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There used to be several in LA. When you only have a few they probably aren't profitable. There may be enough Dunkin' Donuts in enough of the country that they are advertising nationally on cable. It can sometimes be cheaper that way, and network has benefits spot doesn't.

Their devil's food are heavenly. I always get them when I go to the east coast.

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The locations in Sacramento and Los Angeles were test locations for the Dunkin’ Donuts expansion into California according to some websites I read. Unfortunately, the man financing the venture had a heart attack and the project was put on hold and eventually the locations closed. There was a Dunkin Donuts in San Jose at 3605 Union Avenue. They used to be a Dunkin Donuts, but several years ago lost their franchise and became a Sunny Donuts. Here is a picture of the old sign:

https://businessphotosusa.com/Imagedb/D7/D4/D5/D3/D7/P314473547_01_sm.jpg

To get to a store now it looks like you will have to go to Phoenix or Portland.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might have to enlarge the comment window to see the entire website link

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There used to be a Dunkin Donuts near my house in Anaheim when I was a kid. It's next to Anaheim Memorial Hospital. but somewhere around junior high or there abouts it became something else. it is still a donut shop though. :)

It was our donut shop of choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home