Friday, April 04, 2008

I'm sooo tired

I wanted to take a nap behind my desk at lunchtime, but it just didn't work out. So instead I stayed at work until 5 pm and graded a stack of math papers! I have no idea what the logic was in that...

Anyways, there is something bothering me. There are radio ads playing (for the life of me I can't remember who is sponsoring them) that are talking about "gamers."

And I figured... gamers. Pale people who like to get together and play D&D or something. This is the obvious and normal definition of the word in our culture.

But no, this ad is using the word "gamer" to describe someone who is a SPORTS NUT. What???? Since when does "gamer" mean someone who shows up at every football game and paints their face with the team colors?

Why in the world is the term being applied to these people? I certainly haven't heard it used like this outside of the radio ads...

3 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Blogger SpinalCat said...

Because we're in the Bay Area and there aren't as many natural jocks? It would make more sense if it were a San Jose team, but it's for the SF Giants. Apparently they have another ad campaign that says "all out, all season." There's been some speculation about what that means. . .

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Ok.... Giants ad. :o)

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Me said...

Ok so I'm a "gamer" (even the D&D kind) but I just want to point out that my paleness comes from being so damn white, not lack of contact with the outside world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home