Monday, February 18, 2008

Look where I am!


Haha!

I'm on a surprise trip to New York! Steve is here on business, and I am tagging along since this week is my school's February break. We spent Sunday in Manhattan, but now we are up in Fishkill. It is about 1.5 hours north of Grand Central Station via train, so that isn't too bad. Tomorrow, while Steve is at work, I will be going back into the city by myself. I plan on going yarn shopping, eating borscht at my favorite restaurant in NYC (Vesella- Ukrainian food!) and perhaps going to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. I'll most likely be in Manhattan several times this week, and Steve and I will both be there for the day on Saturday before heading back home Sunday morning.

This is just too much fun! Sunday we went to MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) and saw so much beautiful, famous art. Here are just a few of my favorites.
-Starry Night by Van Gogh (amazing)
-Several Monets including a giant triptych, Reflections of Clouds on a Water-Lily Pond, which was overwhelmingly large. Together they are 6'7"x41'11"! I liked Agapanthus too.
-Some of Seurat's pointillism masterpieces. I never noticed how he made frame-like borders around many of his paintings with different colors of dots. (Port-en-Bessin, Entrance to the Harbor)
-Bunches of Picasso, my favorite of which was Violin and Grapes.
-Christina's World, which I've loved since I was a child, is incredibly detailed. Each little shingle, blade of grass, or strand of hair is there.
-Very cool Alexander Calder mobiles like Lobster Trap and Fish Tail. Our favorite by far was Snow Flurry, which I can't find a picture of. Damn.
-Echo: Number 25, 1951 by Jackson Pollack. I liked this more than his more famous splattery paintings. The curves are quite interesting.
-The Park by Gustav Klimt. This one was very impressive in person.

More NYC later.

Only bad thing? It is COLD here! The city is cold, but Fishkill is super cold. There is snow around, and it is going to be 21 F when I leave tomorrow morning at 9-ish. Snow is forecast during the week...

We also went to..... Dunkin' Donuts! They are all over here, and I can tell you that their coffee is really very good.

6 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have "Starry Night" on a mouse pad and oven mitt. Great art or too much commercialization? Have fun in New York and enjoy the Dunkin' while you can 'em.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Jon de Plume said...

I am beyond jealous big sister, although the city Fishkill is one of the more interesting names I have heard recently. I had heard you were heading out that way but didn't know you were already there. Take a photo of you and the big man by a rat sign in a subway if you can find one. It also took forever but Jon de Plume is up. I also have a time tomorrow at the studio and I can do some product shots of the ipod sweater.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Starry Night? Just great art. I can tell you, looking at all sorts of beautiful impressionist art... Starry Night really does stand out. It is so bold and unlike everything else.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you like impressionist art you have to go to the Barnes in Merion, Pennsylvania. They have more impressionists than any place outside of Paris.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I've never heard of the museum before. Thanks! I'll look it up.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your posts about ny sarah! love that you went to all the little knitting shops, you make me want to be a more adventurous knitter!

i did a paper on christina's world in college, would love to see the real thing some day. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home